Yellow Pages

Mal Emery has published an outstanding article about the right way to use Yellow Pages, in his latest Rebellious Rant.

I’m not just saying that because Mal has recommended his clients and subscribers contact me for a “done for you” Yellow Pages service!

It’s because Mal is sharing great advice about maximising the impact of your Yellow Pages ad and making it up to 750% more profitable.

Like Mal says, 60% of those who consult a category in the Yellow Pages, have NO company in mind — and of the other 40%, around one third (13%) are will to be swayed … that’s a chance at persuading more than 7 in 10 readers with an effective ad.

The regular Rebellious Rants are a great free resource for any entrepreneur or business owner, well worth a free subscription!

President Kennedy

Okay, you won’t believe this … I’m not even a US resident and I got the Americans to let me run for President … it’s all over the news!

Thankfully having the name “Kennedy” swayed them — they don’t seem to mind the idea of another Kennedy in the Whitehouse.

Thanks to Paul Gram on the Copywriters Board for the heads up on this one! Nice viral marketing at work!

Bargains in misspellings

I just watched an auction end online for a brand new pair of men’s workboots … a brand with an excellent reputation … being offered for $15 — $100 below retail!

Number of bids?

Zero. No sale!

Here’s a pretty good reason why … the boots were advertised as “Bloodstone Workboots” — but the actual brand is Blundstone, not Bloodstone.

Now there’s always been a market on sites like eBay to find a bargain via misspellings — whether a typo or simply the seller not knowing the correct spelling!

I know for sure that typo’s slip through my fingers more than I’d like, and I don’t profess to be a leading authority on spelling and grammar (an aside: why isn’t grammar spelled “grammer”, like hammer or stammer?).

If I was a smart seller, I’d at least do my research to confirm the right brand name. I’d also include the common misspellings in my listing, so it’s more easily found by people who don’t know the correct spelling when doing their search (especially on eBay when they search title and description).

Of course, if I was a smart buyer, I’d be searching on misspellings to find bargains like a pair of brand new top brand workboots for sale at $100 less than retail with 0 bids!